Virginia's Executive Branch - Loudoun County Public Schools
Warm-up 1. 2. 3. Name Virginias Legislative body. General Assembly What are the 2 houses in the General
Assembly? State Senate and House of Delegates What is the primary responsibility of Virginias legislative branch? Make laws for Virginia Virginias Executive
Branch The Governor enforces laws for Virginia Movie Time! Executive Branch of Virginia (State Government)
Virginias Executive Branch is headed by a Governor who is granted the power to execute the laws of Virginia according to the Virginia Constitution. The Governor appoints a Cabinet who helps him oversee the functions of Virginias government
Lieutenant Governor Attorney General Virginia Executive Branch Governor Cabinet
Agencies, commissions Regulatory boards Reading Activity Read the material provided in class and answer the questions on your worksheet.
You have 30 minutes. The Office of the Governor of Virginia 1. The governor serves as the chief executive of Virginia.
2. A governor of Virginia serves a 4 year term in office. 3. Virginias current governor is Bob McDonnell. Political party Republican A president is responsible for governing the entire nation, whereas a governor enforces the laws of a state. Click the mouse button or press the
Space Bar to display the answer. 4. What are the 3 qualifications to become a governor of Virginia? US citizen Reside in Virginia for 5 years 30 years old 5. Is a governor allowed to run for consecutive (back-to-back) terms in
office? NO First Woman Governor Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming was the first woman elected governor of a state. She was elected on November 9, 1924 to fill the unexpired term of her husband. 6. How many terms may a governor serve? It is unlimited but it CANNOT be consecutive
7. Name at least 5 duties/responsibilities of a governor? Live in Virginia Report to the General Assembly Call special sessions of the General Assembly Execute laws of Virginia Safety of the state Command the Virginia militia
8. The salary of a Virginia governor is $175, 000 9. Matching A. Chief of State D. Party Chief B. Chief Legislator E. Commander in Chief C. Chief Administrator
___ call special sessions of the General Assembly ___ commands Virginias militia forces ___ sign a bill into law use line-item ___ attend a local political party function ___ Speak at a memorial service ___ appoint state government officials, ___ veto a bill ___ offer an individual a pardon
___ Propose legislation ___ host a dinner party for dignitaries ___ execute laws The Governor wants to cut state taxes. In which role would he propose these tax
cuts? 10. The Cabinet is responsible for advising the governor. 11. Cabinet officers are nominated by the governor and approved by the General Assembly. 12. The Cabinet departments, agencies,
commissions and regulatory boards administers laws for the governor Enforces laws for the governor regulates businesses and the economy for the governor provides services for the people of Virginia The Office of the Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
13. Name 4 official duties of a Lieutenant Governor? Serve as president of the State Senate Preside over the State Senate 1st in line of succession to the governor Serve as a member of several boards, commissions, councils
14. How is it possible to have a governor and a lieutenant governor from different political parties in Virginia? The governor and Lt. governor are elected separately not on the same ticket as a president and vice- president. (they are elected in the same year)
15. A lieutenant governor serves a 4 year term and there is no term limit. 16. Our current Lt. Governor is Bill Bolling. The Office of the Attorney General of Virginia 17. The office of the Attorney General is
the Commonwealths law firm. 18. Who are the Attorney Generals clients? Virginia state government State agencies, boards, commissions 19. What is one thing the Attorney General cannot do? Give legal advice to private citizens
20. Name 3 key duties of the Attorney Gernal. serve as an attorney for the state Uphold the US and Virginia Consitutions Clarify the law Investigate and prosecute criminal
acts, neglect, abuse, fraud 21. Our current Attorney General is Ken Cuccinelli In the cartoonists view, what is the impact of the federal governments decision to transfer
responsibility for welfare to the states? Click the mouse button or press the Space Bar to display the answer. GAMES SOL pass Federalism Match-up and
Times New Roman Monotype Sorts Symbol Arial Lucida Handwriting Wingdings dbllines Slide 1 Wireless LAN Insecurity Update 2005 Disclaimer: Fair Use of Online Resouces Slide 4 Slide 5 Slide 6 The Basic Network Security Pyramid Wireless Security 2003 Slide 9...
Federal Sentencing Update Marjorie A. Meyers Federal Public Defender October 13, 2017 Austin, Texas Victims Vulnerable, USSG 3A1.1(b) Hate crime, 3A1.1(a) Official victim, 3A1.2 Restraint, 3A1.3 Terrorism, 3A1.4 Human rights, 3A1.5 Aggravating role 3B1.1 Decision making authority nature participation recruitment...
"New advances in computing, autonomy, and manufacturing are already transforming the way we fight … From self-driving cars to autonomous weapons, the field of [AI], in particular, is progressing rapidly."
"The War to End All Wars?" ... and his wife Sophie, on June 28, 1914, in the Bosnian city of Sarajevo. ... This campaign proved to be an utter disaster, resulting in 50 percent casualties (and the disgrace of Winston...
Case Study: 360 Performance Evaluation at Morgan Stanley HR Management MBAO 6030 Morgan Stanley: Background (Source: www.morganstanley.com) Morgan Stanley is a global financial services firm Formed in 1997 with the merger of Dean Witter, Discover & Co. and Morgan Stanley...
Consider the overlap between these components of the Syllabus - can you use one example that will cover each? It is an over-simplification to say that one is either positive or negative - there can be a mingling of each…For...
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!