Grammar Rules Lay or Lie? Too, To, or Two? Sit or Set? Their, Theyre, or There? Lay or Lie? Which is used? LIE - To lie down is an act that can be attributed to the subject. There is no object of this verb, as the subject is doing the action without a receiver. LAY - Lay must have a direct object. One lays something down. (Hint: substitute "put." If "put" works,
then "lay" is also correct.) Conjugation of LIE: I lie down today. (present tense) The money lay there yesterday. (past tense) Sarah will lie down there tomorrow. (future tense) The book has lain here many times before. (use perfect tense with have, had, has) Conjugation of LAY:
I lay the book down. (present tense) I laid it down yesterday. (past tense) I will lay it down again tomorrow. (future tense) I have laid it here many times before. (use perfect tense with have, had, has) Choose the lie or lay for each of the blanks below. Be sure to use the correct tense.
1. He _____ on the hard pavement this morning, gasping for breath. 2. How long did he _____ there? 3. I don't know how long he had ______ there. 4. He picked up the wounded bird and _____ it gently on the table. 5. She _____ her sewing aside and went to the door.
6. Are you going to _____ there all day? 7. The three puppies ______ in the basket. 8. Linda _____ her coat on the couch. 9. Not feeling well, he _____ in his bed all day. 10. He decided to just _____ around the house all summer. 11. Someone _____ the dictionary on my glasses. 12. The money _____ there all day in plain sight.
13. She had _____ the book on the ground under the tree. 14. Ginny _____ down on a beach towel. 15. I saw the hat that you _____ on the hall table. 16. She had just _____ down for a nap when the phone rang.
17. The two teenagers _____ in the sun all day. 18. Have they _____ the cornerstone of the building yet? 19. She had _____ the coverlet over the child at midnight. 20. He should not ____ the blame for the accident on the other driver. Ann _____ the baby on the bed and then ____ his stuffed bear beside him. I wondered how long the baby would ____ there without crying. Aunt Marge said that she remembered one day when he had _____ in the same position for an hour. She said another time when she was there, the puppy had _____ next to the baby on the bed. She remembered picking up the
puppy while it was still asleep. Then she ____ the puppy on the rug. When Aunt Marge left, the puppy was still there. It had _____ there for nearly two hours sound asleep! Meanwhile, the baby woke up and _____ quietly for fully half an hour just watching the puppy snore. Finally, neither the puppy nor the baby could _____ there any longer, so the baby _____ on the old sympathy play and started whining pitifully until Ann was forced to _____ aside the sweater that she had hoped to finish knitting while the baby _____ down. Too, To, or Two? Two is a number.
She counted, "One, two, three. Too is an adverb that means also or more than enough. He wanted to go too. (also) This is too much for me! (more than enough) To + a noun or noun phrase is a preposition. Take me to the ball game. I went to bed early that night. To + a verb is an infinitive. She wanted to go. He decided to run away. Choose the correct two, too, or to for each of the blanks below:
1. Many students read _____ quickly and _____ carelessly. 2. I was _____ scared _____ say a word to her! 3. I am going _____ the store now. 4. They are building _____ new houses on our block. 5. May I go _____? 6. Do you think it is _____ late _____ do that now?
7. I have _____ new shirts that I can't wait _____ wear. 8. My dental appointment lasted _____ hours and that was _____ long! 9. This room is _____ cold _____ stay in very much longer. 10. After I played racquetball for _____ hours, I was _____ tired _____ walk home. 11. It is not good _____ put _____ much salt on your food. 12. My next dental appointment is for tomorrow at _____ o'clock. 13. I am not _____ excited about going _____ the dentist again. 14. My brother flew _____ Alabama earlier this week.
15. We have planted _____ rose bushes in pots on the patio. Sit or Set? SIT - To sit is an act that can be attributed to the subject. To sit means to take a resting position. There is no object of this verb, as the subject is doing the action without a receiver of the action. SET - Set must have a direct object. To set means to place something in a special or certain position. One sets something down. One sets something right.
(Hint: substitute "put." If "put" works, then "set" is also correct.) Conjugation of SIT: I sit today. (present tense) The money sat there yesterday. (past tense) Sarah will sit there tomorrow. (future tense) The book has sat here many times before. (perfect tense) (use with have, had, and has)
Conjugation of SET: I set the book down. (present tense) I set it down yesterday. (past tense) I will set it down again tomorrow. (future tense) I have set it here many times before. (perfect tense) (use with have, had, has)
Choose the sit or set for each of the blanks below. Be sure to use the correct tense. 1- Have you _____ the alarm clock for tomorrow? 2 - How long did he _____ there? 3- I don't know how long he had ______ there. 4- He picked up the wounded bird and _____ it gently on the table. 5- She _____ her sewing aside and
went to the door. 6- Are you going to _____ there all day? 7- Where shall we ______? 8- Linda _____ her coat on the couch. 9- ______ the packages on the front porch by the door. 10- He decided to just _____ around the house all summer. 11- Someone _____ the dictionary on my
glasses. 12- The money _____ there all day in plain sight. 13- She had _____ the book on the ground under the tree. 14- Ginny _____ down on a beach towel. 15- I always ______ near the door. 16- Dr. Javier _____ my brother's
arm when he broke it. 17- The two teenagers _____ in the sun all day. 18- Chris may ____ a new record in the race today. 19- Just _____ right here until they call your name. 20- Sandy, please _______ the table. Their, There, or Theyre? Their is a possessive pronoun. It always describes a noun. Note the spelling of their. It
comes from the word they, so the e comes before the i. Examples Their dog has fleas. (possessive of they) There is an adverb meaning "that location." It is sometimes used with the verb to be as an idiom. It is spelled like here which means "this location." Examples: I put the collar right there. (that location) There are five prime numbers less than ten.
(with to be) They're is a contraction of they are. Note the spelling: The a from are is replaced by an apostrophe. What are the first few prime numbers? They're 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7. (contraction of they are) Lets try some . . .
______ are no excuses this time, Buddy! I can't imagine where __________ going after the movie. It's ________ car, so let them decide where we're going. Wherever ________ are two or more firefighters in the same room, you know what they'll be talking about. Whatever ________ doing to this highway, it seems to be taking forever to finish. These students have a poor attendance record. I'm worried about ______ being absent during next week's exams.
Because Tamara and Casey are always smooching in their car, __________ friends expect them to arrive late to dinners and movies. "Don't touch those cookies!" warned Mrs. Patterson. "__________ made with termites and honey for
Freddie, my pet anteater. __________ were muddy paw prints on the new white sofa. The Mitchells cut __________ grass so infrequently that early in the morning, you can find wild rabbits feasting on the long green shoots. Dusty and Chris came to the essay exam without __________ dictionaries. Michael blasts music from his car stereo, annoying other but __________ looks of disapproval don't register. Sheba and Cindy Sue, the family cats, keep Jeanne from sleeping past 6 a.m. __________ meows of hunger can wake her from the deepest sleep.
My dog Oreo loves to chase lizards because __________ not as dangerous as the two family cats with sharp claws. Frank continues to wear his old, dirty, smelly sneakers because __________ the most comfortable shoes that he owns. Dallas and Kelly crammed until 4 a.m. for their final exam in accounting; __________ hoping for As. I'm starving! Are __________ any more leftover honey-roasted grasshoppers in the fridge?
Paulette and Judi tried to eat the cafeteria hamburgers, but _________ stomachs are queasy. Is __________ a possibility that we can abandon our plans to rake the yard? "Look over _________ !" shouted Lenny Kay has a huge collection of DVDs, everything from "How To" titles to Mae West movies. __________ all lined up in alphabetical order, filling five bookcases in the living room.
Because my careless roommate Jennifer is always dripping grape juice, you will find purple spots here and __________ on the carpeting. Julias neighbors are driving her crazy. They play __________ loud music until 2 a.m., after which __________ German shepherd barks for another three hours. Both of Clarks grandfathers wear toupees because they don't want to blind any beautiful women with __________ shiny bald heads. Derrick's coworkers at Bernies Burger Emporium never get hungry because __________ always eating the onion rings. The students put __________ heads on the desks and groaned.
Negligence per se-- in special cases, legislatures set a minimum standard for certain groups of people (esp. children). When a violation of that statute hurts a member of that group, the duty is breached. Factual Cause & Foreseeable Harm.
Maureen P. Scahill, NP, MS. Nurse Practitioner, Trainer, TA Provider. Center for Health & Behavioral Training, Rochester, New York. STD 101. CDC STD Prevention Conference - 2014 (Reviewed & updated - March 2015) National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD,...
Transformers. The coupling coefficient kdefines the degree of magnetic couplingbetween the coils: . 1. loosely coupled pair: k < 0.5 . 2. tightly coupled coils: k > 0.5 . 3. perfectly coupled coils: k = 1. The magnitude of ....
Hét. Téma. 1. Kurzusszervezés és bevezetés, kiejtés, a főnév szótári alakja és a birtokos eset.. 2. Síkok és irányok; irányjelölések a fogászatban, a nyelvtani nem, egyeztetés. 3. A fogak elnevezései; Testrészek 1.. 4. Testrészek 2. Az öt declinatio, birtokos szerkezetek...
Define the Core Nutrition Competencies . The first step in planning and defining the scope is to bring together the actors responsible for national policy and guidance development, curricula development, regulation of pre-service training and education, and employment of health...
Judy Griesedieck/Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images Church and State The Free Exercise Clause: Congress shall make no law prohibiting the "free exercise" of religion Establishment Clause: Congress shall make no law "respecting an establishment of religion" Wall of Separation Theory:...
ROOTS WEEK 10 MAR LATIN ROOT SEA EXAMPLE WORDS MARINE MARINA MARINATE MARSH MARINA -noun a boat basin offering dockage and other service for small craft. METER, METR GREEK ROOT MEASURE EXAMPLE WORDS PERIMETER METER METRIC METRIC -adjective pertaining to...
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!